Mesquite, TX – The officer who shot 31-year-old Lyndo Jones during a traffic stop has been terminated.

The Mesquite Police Department says officer Derick Wiley has been placed on “indefinite suspension”.

In a statement made to the press, Police Chief Charles Cato said he made the decision after an internal review, and that the move effectively means the officer, identified as Derick Wiley, has been terminated.

Cato said the internal investigation showed Wiley violated departmental policy when he shot Lyndo Jones.

Police had responded after someone reported a man breaking into a vehicle, setting off its alarm. The officers did not know Jones was trying to get into his own locked pickup truck.

Police say Lyndo Jones was shot twice after he tried to run away as the officer attempted to detain him.

Jones vehemently denies he was trying to run away.

The charges against Lyndo Jones were ultimately dropped but the wounds still remain for Jones who is still seeking justice.

According to NBC DFW, the shooting case went before a Dallas County grand jury on Tuesday. Police Chief Charles Cato said the police department would not have any additional comment until the grand jury completes its process.

Like Us On Facebook

Jones’ attorney released the following statement:

“On behalf of Lyndo Jones and his family we regard the indefinite suspension of Mesquite Police Department Officer Derick Wiley with guarded optimism. The fact is, after nearly killing a man by shooting multiple rounds into his back, Wiley’s employment status should be the least of his concerns. The failure of Dallas County District Attorney Faith Johnson to file the appropriate criminal charges in this matter is absolutely confounding. Deferring this matter to the Grand Jury without first fulfilling the responsibility of her office to properly charge Wiley represents a clear dereliction of duty that cannot be overstated. We remain hopeful that the Grand Jury will recommend the appropriate indictment in this matter. The District Attorney has taken every measure to ensure the victim, Mr. Jones, has an opportunity to appear before the Grand Jury and provide testimony concerning this incident even as he continues to recover in the hospital. The Jones family is thankful for the outpouring of community support and prayer as we continue to seek justice in this matter.”